Ghostbot
About Projects News Contacts

Punch Pants

A Ghostbot blog.

Saturday, October 14, 2006

60 GB Hard-Knocks Drive

Recently, Chris Battle blogged about the unfortunate experience of having his hard drive crash. Since I immensely admire Chris's work and his illustrious career, I decided it would be a good move to crash my hard drive as well.


1.5-years of blood, sweat, and tears on a candybar-sized piece of metal

Well, not really. It actually was the worst possible thing that could've happened when it did. Picture this:
(At 1 a.m. one Sunday morning)

Me: "Wow I finished almost a day before our early morning, Monday delivery for this super-difficult, high-profile project. I better back up my files on my trusty iPod just in case. Because I'm screwed if I lose everything since it only exists on this computer."

[sound of me happily typing an email to the rest of the gang telling them that I was done as I begin transferring files]

[sudden zapping sound of my laptop shutting off]

Me (now sweating): "Uh...heh...what...?..."

Laptop: "..."

iPod: "It wasn't me..."
Fortunately, thanks to a heavy heaping of divine intervention and classic Ghostbot Rescue Team Procedures, we were able to make our deadline with a few hours to spare. What was more painful, however, was the actual act of recovering my drive. I had about 80% of the data backed up on an external drive, but that last 20% was some of the most important information on my computer (emails, pitches, Six Scoop Sketches!). Moral of the story is back up your work, folks - frequently. If you don't believe me, I can send you a copy of my bill from Data Recovery Group.

Thanks to the reality-kick-in-the-pants, I thought I'd post some Painter sketches that I forgot I had which I recently "re-found" amidst the recovered data. (Consider it another form of back up in case this happens again.)







Ok, so maybe it wasn't worth the cost, but dangit I needed those emails…

16 Comments:

Blogger Stephen M. Levinson said...

wow hard drives can be difficult! I couldnt imagine how you mutsa felt. Once my comp shut down on a blackout due to the weather, after i was animating for over an hour and got ALOT done and it went bye bye.

Cool drawings you found! Very interesting!

7:24 AM  
Blogger pascal said...

ahahaha
So funny, ...maybe because it is so scarily true!
computers are such a love/hate reationship
and, yeah, cool drawings!

8:35 AM  
Blogger Chris Battle said...

Not the usual way I'd choose to inspire, but okay... ;)

I'm planning on microwaving some metal screws today, if you want to join in. It's gonna be awesome.

10:45 AM  
Blogger burgerlog2 said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11:33 PM  
Blogger Lauren said...

Ahhh yes, thus is the reason for my fear of technology. Good old paper, and post-its. Lots and lots of post-its.

10:23 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

cool character illos!

1:39 PM  
Blogger Lord Grimthorn said...

Sorry about the HD. Great work Roque! I hope you didn't lose any work.

12:10 AM  
Blogger roque said...

stephen - I always tell myself it's a chance to redo things even better. But it still hurts.

pascal - "love/hate" and no room in between...

clio - Melted your motherboard? That's some serious computing you must've been doing.

chris - Metal screws. Check. Microwave. Check.

lauren - Amen to that. Now if only I could hook up my Cintiq to a Post-it, we'd be in business...

alina - Thanks! I wish they could earn their data-recovery-worth.

marv - Got all of it back, thanks. Now it's just a matter of re-finding all my favorite blog bookmarks!

12:33 AM  
Blogger SHANE PRIGMORE said...

These are really fun. And hey, I just saw your guys developement at D tv. BEAUTIFUL!!! Can't wait to see the short.

10:34 PM  
Blogger roque said...

Thanks, Shane! We're DYING for our short to come out, but so far no word on an air date. We'll post as soon as we find out!

Can't wait to see what you're cooking up too.

11:08 PM  
Blogger Ridd Sorensen said...

haha nice stuff. sorry to hear about your troubles! after reading this i immediately backed up my hard drive. stupid computers. good thing they're just a passing fad!

11:19 PM  
Blogger roque said...

ridd1, If I can save just one hard drive...then my work here is done.

11:21 AM  
Blogger Joe White said...

man! look at that crazy yellow worm guy with 3 eyes. These drawings are great eh

1:31 PM  
Blogger mr.ed said...

i love they are!

10:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

gorgeous draws! -amber m

7:40 AM  
Blogger Jared Chapman said...

Roque! These characters are great! Sorry to hear about your hard drive... I should back mine up as well. Maybe I'll do that first thing after the Thanksgiving holiday. Glad to hear that it all worked out in the end though.
Hope all the Ghostbot'rs and their ghostbot families have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

7:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Secret Base Fellow Ghostbot Portfolios