Ghostbot
About Projects News Contacts

Punch Pants

A Ghostbot blog.

Friday, September 08, 2006

Full Metal Glory

Unlike my premonition that Naruto was going to take the U.S. by storm (back in 09/05) I was a total late bloomer for Full Metal Alchemist. This is definitely one of the best anime series I’ve seen in a long time, and reminds me why I’m a fan in the first place.

Anime News Network describes Full Metal Alchemist:

"After losing their mother, Alphonse and Edward Elric attempt to bring her back using the forbidden science of human alchemy. However, alchemy operates on the theory of equivalent trade, and breaking the human alchemy taboo carries a heavy price. Ed loses his leg, and Al loses his body. Ed is able to seal Al’s soul inside of a huge suit of armor, at the cost of his arm. Years later, Ed (now with two mechanical limbs) and Al (still trapped in the armor) leave their childhood home. Their objective is to search for any information on the fabled Philosopher’s Stone, hoping it will allow them to regain their old bodies. All of their hopes rest with this mythical stone, which may not even exist at all. However, the brothers soon learn that they are not the only ones after the powerful stone."

The show effortlessly weaves a complicated fantasy world based on alchemy, with crazy vampire like villains (called homunculus), political military intrigue, and a wide array of interesting supporting characters. It sounds convoluted, but in the end human emotions and human stories are the focal point of each episode and the overall series.

Even though Full Metal Alchemist seems like kiddy fair with two young brothers at center stage, it really isn’t afraid to go to very dark places, and some very surprising plot twists along the way.

The show benefits from only being 51 episodes. It’s short, sweet and leaves you wanting more. And unlike most anime’s that have a tremendous "let down ending", Full Metal Alchemist delivers the goods in a full blown fan service movie that closes out the story with class and some sassy production value.

The movie "Full Metal Alchemist: Conqueror of Shamballa" has already premiered stateside on August 25th, but do yourself a favor and watch the show first so you can appreciate the full metal glory. It's available on DVD or if you hate subtitles, you can check it out on Adult Swim.



9 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Believe it!

Oh, wait wrong anime...

11:04 AM  
Blogger Biggedy said...

I could've sworn Naruto would be the next Dragonball, but it didn't catch on the same way! I'm gonna have to give this series a try. Though, this isn't grabbing me just like Trigun didn't, but everybody says both these series are awesome. 51 episodes doesn't seem so daunting though!

9:57 PM  
Blogger Alan said...

Believe it! U.S. Naruto definitely suffers from the dub and not using the original openings.. boo!!! However, my nephews LOVE it.

Full Metal Alchemist is nice and short, so it definitely doesn't over stay it's welcome. I heard the dub is quite good too, but I stay away from that stuff. I need my anime in japanese.

5:30 PM  
Blogger PotatoFarmGirl said...

I haven't had a chance to watch this series, I am awaiting a box set. I've heard it is quite good, and who doesn't love a suit of armor with a soul?

5:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think Naruto is quite different that dragonball. Truth is , I am a bit more entertained with Naruto than dragonball. Just stating my opinion!

2:09 AM  
Blogger Super Edco said...

I dig Naruto over Full Metal Alchemist, but for my money it's still One Piece and Pokemon!!!

3:40 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

If Naruto were to fight Goku... who would win?

3:22 PM  
Blogger TYREE DILLIHAY said...

Roque,

Thanks for the comment...I think I've commented here before but, I think you guys are leading the field in cutting edge GOOD flash animation and design.

Keep it up!!

9:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

>If Naruto were to fight Goku... who would win?


Goku doesn't fight people he just talks for episodes about how he is going to punch you....

6:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Secret Base Fellow Ghostbot Portfolios