Ghostbot
About Projects News Contacts

Punch Pants

A Ghostbot blog.

Saturday, September 16, 2006

Super Friends

I have the most inspiring friends.

I've known both of these guys since college and from day one, we've talked comics. We can go on for hours about what-did-you-get-this-week or debate over why the '90s were awesome/sucked, and then still make a trip to the store after we're done talking. So to see the two of them put their non-photo-blue pencils where their mouths are and actually do what we've all dreamed of doing is awesome.



You may recognize Arvin Bautista from our Fellow Ghostbot page. Not only does he own every possible game system on the planet, but he's also a walking encyclopedia of comics and miscellaneous dorky nerdy stuff (he would without question be my lifeline if I was a contestant on "Who Wants to Be a Comic Millionaire"). Well now he's channeled his passion for the medium into his own self-published book. His bold compositions and good-ole-fashion storytelling are influenced by the likes of comic legends like Jack Kirby, Osamu Tezuka, and Shotaro Ishinimori.



Arvin is on a mission to finish his first book in one year, and thanks to a much needed vacation from his day job, he's making a beeline to the finish. Cheer him on at his blog, The Neverending Battle, and stay off the roads. He just got a car.



The other dork in our band of nerds is the previously blogged, Shanth "I Eat Only to Survive" Enjeti. Shanth is no slouch when it comes to comics, pencilling his first professional book at the age of 17, and a then later self-publishing his creator-owned, Springball. If anyone was going to make it in mainstream comics, it would be Shanth. The amount of blood, sweat, and tears that he has poured into his work is enough to motivate (and depress) anyone. If you're looking for gritty, moody, I'm-so-real-I-pay-taxes-on-my-mutant-power comics, then Shanth is not necessarily the artist for you. But if you want to be taken back to the genuine fun and excitement jumping off the page that comics gave us as kids, then keep your eyes peeled for his upcoming work. Shanth is breaking into the industry as we speak, working on a 4-issue Starship Troopers mini-series for Markosia Comics.



Guys, I already have my mylar bags prepped...

7 Comments:

Blogger Alan said...

It's amazing to see these guys kick it into a high gear doing comics.

I haven't really done comics since the hype filled 90s, but I do remember it being extremely difficult to do and always admire anyone dedicated/insane enough to do it.

Kudos to Shanth and Arvin. Both styles are different yet very unique and compelling. I'm looking forward to all of it. I'll keep my mylar bags ready as well!

6:41 PM  
Blogger pascal said...

oh my god..these are so good!
I especially love that first comic page!
I totally love the tezuka/kirby influence in there.
More recently, Kyle Baker on plastic man has been doing some simplistic stuff that looks a tad likethat in my mind( probably ONLY in my mind)

Beautiful stuff

12:21 PM  
Blogger Jo Bling said...

These are teriffic, especially dig the pencils up top. Shall call by with a Jobling Hullo methinks :-)

11:54 AM  
Blogger Biggedy said...

Thanks very much for the encouragement and the post! If anything Shanth and I got inspired from the cameraderie, skill and teamwork that the Ghostbot studio has! We try to have something like that too, though it may be a bit more long distance!

The more I do these pages the more I scratch my head, how do people make a living doing these things?!

6:28 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

very nice works! neat to see the work in progress and drawings

4:16 PM  
Blogger Rocket Pistol said...

Biggedy is right on the money. The two of us have been feeding off of the Ghostbot vibe! Thanks for the shout and all the kind words everyone. We are very proud to call the Ghostbot guys our friends...

...even though they have asked us to stop.

-Shanth

5:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks very much for the encouragement and the post!

It is really very nice works! neat to see the work in progress and drawings

3:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Secret Base Fellow Ghostbot Portfolios