Ghostbot
About Projects News Contacts

Punch Pants

A Ghostbot blog.

Saturday, August 20, 2005

SDCC 2005: Part the First

One month and three days after San Diego Con, I finally get the time to post about it (hey, at least it's not 2006). I'm sure by now everyone has heard about the visual overload, the superstar sightings, the 5000 Stormtroopers walking around, and the "teaser" 18-wheeler Optimus Prime. I'll just summarize my own experience by saying it was overwhelmingly awesome. I'm in for next year, but boy am I glad it happens just once.

Since the con is so all-encompassing of the entertainment industry, there were some great finds in all media. Here are some of my personal faves in comics:
  • Pixar books (Colossus, Little India, Rose and Isabel, Dumping Grounds vol.1, Rocket Rabbit) - like I posted earlier here, the Pixar gang came out swinging with an awesome selection of books. They delivered the goods in a big way and to top it all off, each artist was extremely friendly and chatty in person. You just got the feeling that they were genuinely thankful that people were buying their stuff, when in reality you needed buckets to sop up the drool trail leading up to their booths.
  • Draw! Magazine #11 - a little self-indulgent to mention since it had my interview in it, but it was especially awesome to meet up with Mike Manley again and observe all the hordes of "babymen". The magazine arrived hot off the presses and Mike literally opened the box in front of me and handed me a stack. He did such a terrific job with the whole issue and I can't thank him enough for the experience. Also, he gave me a copy of his newest sketchbook, aptly titled The 2005 Mike Manley Sketch Book which has a killer collection of his latest sketches. That Manley can draw! (no pun intended)
  • Artist Sketchbooks - cons are usually the only place you can find sketchbooks and it seems like everyone sells one these days. But for me, it's a neat way to discover new talent as well as admire the thought process of my faves. Some of the gems I found this year were from Israel Sanchez (The Art of IO vol.2), Derrick Wyatt (Teen Titans), Jim Smith (Ren & Stimpy, Ripping Friends, The Xs), Sho Murase (Nancy Drew: Girl Detective) and the Mucha Lucha! Sketchbook (thanks Eddie and Lili!).
  • Rocketo - seems like every year there is buzz about one book and it usually comes from a creator that blindsides everyone. For me, Rocketo by the incredible Frank Espinosa was that "it" book this year. After reading about his debut on the Cartoon Retro Forum, this was on my list of must-haves for the con. It easily became my favorite find. I was siked that I got to meet Frank in person and have the opportunity to look at his original pages and sketches (I've got to buy one of his original paintings next time). He's a humble and enthusiastic guy and has talent pouring out of his ears. Beautiful designs, fluid linework, and European flair coupled with an immersive story (hence the blindsiding). Highly recommended. I told everyone I talked to after that point to go buy his book. You can read recent interviews with Frank here (with a mention of Ghostbot!) and here.
More later on my toy picks and other fun stuff...

9 Comments:

Blogger Alan said...

Better late than never! Great coverage of the Con Roq. It's the "Burning Man" for nerds.

5:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

burning gomer! thanks for the update for those that didn't make it this year! -amb

6:53 AM  
Blogger Sean Dicken said...

I've gotta find this Rocketo! Looks like an awesome book... I forgot to look for it at the Con this year. I always forget something...

9:55 AM  
Blogger Brad said...

Comic Con rules. So much great stuff, all under one gigantic, gloriously dorky roof.

I kept getting lost looking for D&D dice and always ended up at the new GI Joe figure display...

6:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just bought the Rocketto comic..just the first issue..
I'm hooked..
just love that whole style of storytelling and controlled brushstroke art!

Now I want to be a mapper too!

9:32 AM  
Blogger Alan said...

Yeah Sean, I always forget something at the con as well. Usually it's my brain.... and a little bit of dignity.

Anyone know where I can find Rocketo?I'm having trouble finding it in the city.... maybe I should go outside some more.

10:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alan..I found a copy of it at ISOTOPE, on fell and gough.
I got it Monday and they still had plenty of them!

P.

1:54 PM  
Blogger Alan said...

Thanks for the tip Pascal!

2:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

(^__^)
P.

7:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Secret Base Fellow Ghostbot Portfolios