Ghostbot
About Projects News Contacts

Punch Pants

A Ghostbot blog.

Monday, February 21, 2005

Wondercon Shwag

This weekend we strapped on our geek hats, put on our dork socks, polished the gomer glasses and dove into the 2005 Wondercon at the SF Moscone Center. After experiencing San Diego Comic Con last year, Wondercon doesn’t hold a candle (think 1/20th the size). But it was still fun to revel in the nerddom. Comic conventions breed such a unique culture and even though I’ve been reading comics most of my life, I still can’t get over the people who attend. There were overweight Stormtroopers (standard, snow, and biker), Narutos of all ages, and my favorite - a mid-forties, African American, female Jedi (lightsaber and all). Not to mention special appearances by Peter Mayhew (Chewbacca), Richard Hatch (Starbuck Apollo), Margot Kidder (Lois Lane), and the actor who played the “big dumb super villain” in Superman 2 (Jack O'Halloran).

My favorite part of these conventions is picking up books that you wouldn’t normally find in your average comic store. I was pretty controlled once I left the Stuart Ng Books section… Here’s what I nabbed:

  • Glen Murakami’s SUNDAY GIRL - Murakami has worked on some of the best animated comic shows out there (Batman, Superman, Teen Titans). This is his third collection of drawings (if I ever find the first two, I'm sold). Beautiful.
  • THE GOLDEN TREASURY OF MYTHS AND LEGENDS (illustrated by the Provensens) - one of my greatest joys is finding out-of-print books like this one.
  • DRAWERS 2.0 by Claire Wendling - this phenomenal French artist just cannot draw bad. If you’re not familiar with her work, I’d say she’s a Euro-cross between Klimt, Frazetta, Mignola, and freaking good drawing skills.

Now I can’t wait for San Diego…

9 Comments:

Blogger Brad said...

Not only did I nab the long-sought after 10" rotocast Justice League Wonder Woman, but I picked up the extraorinary Microman Catwoman. It almost makes up for the recent announcement that the GI Joe 3.75" line is being put on "hiatus" Almost... (more on that later).

Hilights included having Richard Hatch talk to my son, and shooing a reckless jawa away from trying to purchase him. Cons rule.

12:39 AM  
Blogger Alan said...

My biggest regret is not nabbing the Micronaut Catwoman that Brad got. The bastard!

A bit of good news I heard from the con, was that Joss Whedon is continuing his run on Astonishing X-Men for another 12 issues. Awesome!

9:35 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Wondercon is definitely the appetizer that precedes the main course that is San Diego Comic Con! Luckily, I was able to walk away from this year’s Wondercon relatively unscathed, wallet wise.

My highlight though was seeing a guy dressed perfectly as Blade walking around with a bottle of water. The H2O content in blood must not be as high as it used to be…

9:41 AM  
Blogger Lord Cheez said...

Richard Hatch is APOLLO! Dirk Benedict was Starbuck.

Blasphemy!

10:51 AM  
Blogger roque said...

NERD TRAP! I'm so ashamed but I'm glad I'm surrounded by nerds bigger than me.

10:58 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Ooooooooo! NERD FIGHT!!!

9:36 AM  
Blogger Lord Cheez said...

doh! I just outted myself. that's three times today. how long before everyone catches on?

2:25 PM  
Blogger James Baker said...

Wondercon was Rad. the comedy highlight for me was that on Saturady morning the SECURITYguys checking exhibitor badges (because we got to go in earlier than the other dorks) were all wearing storm trooper outfits. I laughed hard!

4:21 PM  
Blogger roque said...

Awesome! You should have made a run for it and seen if they had real blasters.

8:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Secret Base Fellow Ghostbot Portfolios