Ghostbot
About Projects News Contacts

Punch Pants

A Ghostbot blog.

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Yeti. Set. Go.

It’s been awhile since I last updated the blog with regards to my intern animation project. Perhaps it’s simply me being lax, but I’d like to think it’s due to an over abundance of other more exciting things to blog about.

Storyboarding and background designs are complete (thanks to guidance from Alan and Roman, respectively) and the last few weeks have been spent navigating the murky waters of creating assets and animating them.

Learning the Ghostbot animation style has been a fascinating process; a technique at which I have graduated from utterly clueless to a hopeful novice. Each day of animation brings new challenges, and tends to go a little something like this:

Step one: Arrange assets into compositionally pleasing keyframes.
Step two: Get overly excited about the idea of making something move, and forge ahead in-betweening, generally making utter snafus of the original keyframes.
Step three: Wallow in self pity over lack of experience and technique.
Step four: Add unnecessary blinks to make myself feel better.
Step five: This is the point in which Brad swoops in and magicks Flash, imparting animation wisdom and demonstrating how to smooth the aforementioned snafus.
Step six: Feel alternately amazed and inspired, and thank my lucky stars that I decided to major in delayed gratification. I mean. Animation.

Repeat process as necessary until scene is completed and up to Ghostbot snuff.

The scenes I have managed to animate are looking peachy keen, but it’s getting down to the wire, and it appears as though I won’t have time to complete my entire animation while at Ghostbot. I’d like to be an ostrich so I could stick my head in the sand and pretend this isn’t my last week here. But ostriches can’t animate… and aren’t native to San Francisco. So I guess in the long run it’s probably a good thing I’m not an ostrich.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Secret Base Fellow Ghostbot Portfolios