Ghostbot
About Projects News Contacts

Punch Pants

A Ghostbot blog.

Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Cloud Boy

Our pal and fellow Ghostbot, Rhode Montijo, has just announced his upcoming children's book, CLOUD BOY, published by Simon & Schuster.


There's a buzz going around from the lucky few who have seen rumored "advance copies" that this one is classic Montijo. Anyone who has been exposed to Rhode's art knows that this guy can draw like a fool. He has successfully self-published 5 issues of his comic "Pablo's Inferno", re-released the entire collection in a graphic novel, and compiled a beautiful sketchbook entitled "Scribbles and Bits". He's also produced his own line of merchandising including limited edition prints, paintings, t-shirts, stickers, and patches. I'm always amazed at Rhode's drive and dedication to his artwork. That's what makes him so dang good. Oh and did I mention he is also one of the original creators of the insanely popular Happy Tree Friends? Yeah, that too.

Awhile ago, I had the fortune of conning Rhode into helping me out on a music video I directed entitled "Wizard Needs Food Badly", for the now-defunct band Five Iron Frenzy. Unfortunately (like most of the work I direct), this project will probably never see the light of day. But I thought this would be the perfect opportunity to at least hilight the awesome images Rhode created for the flashback sequence in the video (cleaned up by the queen of line, Kris Toscanini; Photoshopped by yours truly).


Not enough Montijo for ya? Then pre-order CLOUD BOY now at Amazon!

(Link via Jamie Baker)

10 Comments:

Blogger Alan said...

Nice Post Roq! Those FIF images are sweeeeeet!!! It truly is the greatest music video nobody's ever seen.

I've really enjoyed working with Rhode over the years. When I first saw "Pablo's Inferno" during my brief stint on "Thugs on Film", it really blew me away with it's mixture of amazing drawings and fearless ink work.

Working with him on "Buddhist Monkey" was also a real treat. It was an honor to bring one of Rhode and Kenn's sick ideas to life.

I'm really looking forward to seeing Cloud Boy. It is another step in his already awesome career.

10:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The book looks good. But WHY did you have to introduce me to a band I'd like to become a fan of, after they've already folded? Curse you, time! Also, I need to check back up with your portfolio a bit more often, eh?

12:16 PM  
Blogger Ridd Sorensen said...

wow this is great. i'm sold!

8:48 PM  
Blogger ANIMIKE said...

And here I thought they were singing a song about Gauntlet, one of the many video games that stole away my childhood! Great animation nonetheless.

I must say that you guys have established a very recognizeable and polished style. I've been a fan of yours for longer than I probably would know.

Good luck with the book. Should we expect an animated version anytime soon. Until later, Valkyrie is about to die!!!

1:33 PM  
Blogger ArtZombie said...

Hey congratulations to Rhode on completing Cloud Boy! I know he's skipped out a couple of Game Days for that one! Speaking of which, I've still got a hankering for some of Roq's and Alan's ...BRAAAAIINS!!! haha

Nice work on Wizard Needs Food Badly -is there somewhere I can watch the whole thing?

.

4:28 PM  
Blogger Brad said...

Congrats Rhode! I can't wait to get my hands on the book.

Rhode is to drawing as Tommy Arishikage is to wielding the silent blade.

10:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Everything is drool worthy. Must wipe up now.

9:12 PM  
Blogger roque said...

tim - Time is a jerk! I say we gang up on him and hold him hostage...well, at least sucker punch him!

ridd1 - I just saw a preview copy of the book at Wondercon. Worth every penny to witness Rhode's mad techniques!

animike - I wasted many a quarter on Gauntlet. Who would've thought staring at the top of people's heads would be so entertaining! Potion...quick...

artzombie - I'm still trying to get permission to leak the whole video. Until then, the only existing copy is stashed away in a barricaded grocery store, safely protected from your undead hands.

michael - Drool is good. You've got some droolworthy pieces on your blog too, mister!

11:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too got to see the preview copy of "Cloudboy" and yeah, it's really cool.

I got to meet Rhode as he was setting up with Jamie, and he was a really cool guy. He just kept laughing at me, because I was so excited to check out his stuff.

Rhode's career just seems to grow and grow.

6:11 AM  
Blogger GaryGepetto said...

These ae great! Classic Rhode underdrawings and love the noline look and color scheme!! I'm definitely picking up the book!

1:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Secret Base Fellow Ghostbot Portfolios