Ghostbot
About Projects News Contacts

Punch Pants

A Ghostbot blog.

Saturday, September 17, 2005

A Revolution in the making?


Check out this link to a great article by gamespot.com. It unveils the tech demo for the new Nintendo revolution controller. Instead of the standard buttons on a pad scheme, it is shaped like a remote control. Equipped with a sensor at the end, the new Revolution wireless controller can be used as a virtual bat, sword, fishing rod or racket. In a demonstration video, an elderly couple were pretending to conduct an orchestra, while a younger person appeared to play a musical instrument or fire a gun.

Upon first glance it seems rather simplistic and underwelming, but after watching the video, on gamespot.com, I can’t help but think it has the potential to change the face of gaming. I’ve always admired Nintendo’s need to innovate rather than follow the trends, even when they all don’t work out. Ultimately, this new controller and system will succeed or fail with the games that support it. I can see a lot of potential for first person shooters, driving games and party games with this controller.

I guess we’ll find out in 2006 if the Revolution is the next analog stick, or the next virtual boy. Posted by Picasa

3 Comments:

Blogger Lord Cheez said...

God dammit, I think they've done it again. Never doubt game developers that wear white lab coats at work!!! Lau, I still have that pic you drew of me as DHALSIM holding an N64 controller---so you know how I feel about these guys. thanks for the link!!!

4:12 PM  
Blogger Alan said...

Yeah, Nintendo has a soft spot in my gaming heart for sure. I somehow manage to buy every home system they make.

I'm excited about the innovative controller so hopefully some developers find fun ways to make it work... otherwise we're gonna have a lot of Mario games and nothin else.

Holy smokes! I remember that drawing!! That brings back sweet Street Fightin memories.

10:36 AM  
Blogger Jared Chapman said...

there is no way on Earth that I would be able to work that control. I can hardly carry on a conversation while I drive... or whistle while I work... or... or... well, you get the idea.

3:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Secret Base Fellow Ghostbot Portfolios